Connecting your DSLR camera to a computer with the Elgato Cam Link 4K is a straightforward process that takes just a few minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your DSLR camera
- An HDMI cable (standard or mini, depending on your camera)
- The Elgato Cam Link 4K
- A computer with a USB 3.0 port
Once you have everything you need, follow these steps:
- Power up your camera and computer. Make sure your camera is fully charged or plugged in for longer recording sessions.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your camera’s HDMI port. If your camera has a mini-HDMI port, you’ll need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the Elgato Cam Link 4K’s HDMI input.
- Connect the Elgato Cam Link 4K to your computer’s USB 3.0 port. You may need to use a USB extension cable if your computer’s USB ports are not easily accessible.
- Install the Elgato Cam Link 4K software. You can download it from the Elgato website.
- Open the Elgato Cam Link 4K software. Your camera should be automatically detected.
- Select your camera as the video source in your preferred streaming or video conferencing software.
That’s it! You should now be able to use your DSLR camera as a webcam with your computer.
Here are a few additional tips:
- Make sure your camera is set to output video over HDMI. The menu setting may be called “HDMI Out” or “External Monitor.”
- If you’re having trouble getting your camera to work, make sure you’re using a high-quality HDMI cable.
- You can adjust the resolution and frame rate of your video in the Elgato Cam Link 4K software.
- Elgato also offers a free app called Camera Hub that lets you control your camera’s settings from your computer.
Let me know if you have any other questions.